Monday, November 17, 2008

Captain Beefheart-Bluejeans and Moonbeams



So, sorry the first track from the Dutronc album was missing, trying to track it down on my hard drive and it's not happening.

Anyhow, I figured I'd put up this record by Beefheart because a lot of people I thought would be obsessed with it have never heard it. I'm looking at you Jesse. It's typical Beefheart in the sense that, yeah, it's pretty weird at times, but this record is way more slick and easy to digest than one like Trout Mask. I first got suckered in by "Observatory Crest" which is such a fucking weird ballad that even after listening to it fifty times I still can't figure out the vocal phrasing and fuck it up when I sing along.

Primarily a "heavy blues" album, with songs like "Twist Ah Luck" and "Pompadour Swamp", the record can seem a little hokey at times. Don't let it fool you, the songs are all solid and even the seemingly cheezy stuff will get caught in your head. That said, it's the ballads on here that just slay. Don's voice is perfect for ballads, when you think about it, and as far as I know, these are some of the only ones he sang.

1. Party Of Special Things To Do
2. Same Old Blues
3. Observatory Crest
4. Pompadour Swamp
5. Captain's Holiday
6. Rock and Roll's Evil Doll
7. Further Than We've Gone
8. Twist Ah Luck
9. Bluejeans and Moonbeams


Bluejeans and Moonbeams

No comments: